![]() |
| BBgail |
EVENT CALENDAR
Saturday, August 29, 2026
Conversations with BBgail
[Repost from VoyagePhoenix; August 27, 2026]
Today we’d like to introduce you to BBgail.
Hi BBgail, we’re thrilled to have a chance to learn your story today. So, before we get into specifics, maybe you can briefly walk us through how you got to where you are today?
Becoming BBgail has been a journey. I grew up in a family full of musicians and have been performing on stages since I was 3 years old… but it’s taken nearly 30 years to figure out who I am as a creative. I went to college for musical theatre but quickly realized that wasn’t the avenue I wanted to go down. I love singing and dancing, but I also developed a passion for songwriting as early as elementary school. In my early 20’s I would write songs at home but didn’t know how to transfer them to playing live, so I began singing covers at restaurants and bars as a way to express myself.
In 2021, I started a band called “Proper Pet” where I finally gained the courage and tools to perform my original music live. I was in the project for 2.5 years and learned a lot about the local music scene in Phoenix. In 2024 I decided to part ways with that band and pursue my own solo career which brings us to the birth of BBgail. I loved being in a band, but finding band members you mesh with can make or break a project. I needed time and space to focus on my own music and create music at my own pace.
I became BBgail in September of 2024. I was in between places and crashing with my parents for a month. To be honest, I was overwhelmed at the idea of being a solo artist but knew it was something I need to attempt. I remember throwing out new names and ideas with my parents until I landed on BBgail. I’m super grateful to have two parents who are also musicians that encouraged this new journey, and gave me the confidence boost I needed to get started. I quickly began writing new music, and was eager to get my name out there under this new identity, but I needed to figure out how to record my music.
I’d dabbled in Garage Band in college, mostly to create demos of song ideas, but never took producing music seriously as I never really had to. After talking to a few local producers, I quickly realized just how expensive studio time can be. This encouraged me to buy a mac book, buy logic pro, and learn how to produce on my own. I watched youtube tutorials, tik toks, asked people in my community that produced.. and by October of 2024 I released my first single, “idon’tknow”. Since then, I’ve released 16 singles and recently released my debut EP, “what’s the point???” in July of this year.
Not only am I an electronic synth pop artist and music producer, but I recently started learning how to DJ this past year. It’s been really fun diving into new ways to express myself, and I look forward to any new endeavors that come my way!
Can you talk to us a bit about the challenges and lessons you’ve learned along the way. Looking back would you say it’s been easy or smooth in retrospect?
In addition to starting over as a solo artist, which had a lot of obstacles of its own, I have struggled with my health since I was a teenager. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease at the age of 16 and was on and off extensive treatment until the age of 22. I actually moved from my home state Illinois to Arizona in 2019 in hopes that the warmer weather would be kinder on my body. Is struggled with hormone imbalance, thyroid issues, and chronic pain heavily and the colder weather in the midwest seemed to amplify that. There is no cure for Lyme, but I do feel that I’m in remission as the symptoms I deal with today are much more mild.
However, I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis this year. Sometimes I feel that my health holds me back from being able to really chase after my dreams the way I’d like to, but in other ways I think it makes me more motivated to find my own ways to succeed. I’m still coming to terms with the pace I need to go at that honors my body, but I’m grateful for the opportunity to learn how to take care of myself. Everyone’s paths look different, there’s no one right way to do things.
As you know, we’re big fans of you and your work. For our readers who might not be as familiar what can you tell them about what you do?
Recently I started to call myself a “synth pop star + fairy princess”. It’s a little silly, but that’s the energy I want to embody on and off stage. I’m leaning into a more whimsical side of myself, allowing my inner child to come out to play. It feels really, really good to let go and have fun. I’d say I specialize in fun melodies, clever lyrics, and quirky sound design when it comes to my music. I feel like I really come to life on stage vs when I’m off. I can be a bit more introverted and reserved in my day to day life, but something about being on stage in front of strangers really makes me come alive.
I’m really proud of my resilience and ability to keep chasing my dreams.
Are there any apps, books, podcasts, blogs or other resources you think our readers should check out?
Honestly, I find my biggest inspirations to be my peers. The local music scene in Phoenix is really, really special. I’m incredibly inspired by MRCH, Bogan Via, Spiritual Warfare and the Greasy Shadows, Jack Efron, Paternal…. all local artists I’ve had the privilege to share the stage with. I’m so grateful to be surrounded by some extremely talented artists!





















































































